The default root directory for the main domain of your account in cPanel is
and there is no way to change it from the cPanel GUI. You can change it only if you have root access to the server.
Steps to change the root directory for the main domain:
1. Connect to your server with SSH as root
2. Navigate to /var/cpanel/userdata/[USERNAME]/
3. Here, edit the files
For example, for account “plothost” with domain plothost.com, the filenames would be:
4. In the above two files, look for the line:
and replace “public_html” with the desired new root location.
5. Rebuild the Apace configuration
root@web [~]# /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf Built /etc/apache2/conf/httpd.conf OK
6. Restart Apache web server
# service httpd restart
root@web [~]# service httpd restart Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart httpd.service root@web [~]#
Now, access the site. It should be loaded from the new location.